Monday, March 4, 2013

What can you do with half a yard of fabric?

There are about a million things you can do with HALF a yard of fabric!
 

 
Last week I showed you the fabric I ordered for the bedroom face lift here. I actually had half of a yard left of some of this beautiful ikat-ish Lark print by Amy Butler. Half a yard was actually all I ordered but we didn't use it. We thought about using it for a pillow in the bedroom but once it arrived it was too blue and red. Not what we were going for.

Spring is coming ( I hope sooner than later!!!!), and my girl loves to wear tights with feet in them, (that's what we call them at our house, really we just mean tights), on those chilly spring days. She already has a million skirts and dresses. So how about a cute pair of cuffed Bermuda shorts! We could use these on our up coming beach vacation too!

 
How much fabric do you need for this!? Well, if you are very careful about your pattern layout (and you don't choose a directional print, (for the beginners out there, that just means that the fabric can really only go one way because of a picture on the fabric or words that you can't read unless they are placed in the right direction, hence- "directional"), you can make some cute cuffed shorts with just half a yard of good old quilters cotton.

What better way to use a half yard! I made a large size 5, so if you are super careful you can make it work! Smaller sizes will be easier.

 
Just get a pair of pants that fit her well, or buy a pants pattern and lay them, (or the pattern) out on the fabric so that it leaves a few inches for each of what you will use for the cuffs and make sure you have enough to use these on the width of the shorts. I think I left the width of the shorts (unsewn) by 4 about inches, and I had enough. The cuffs will be shorter - but oh so CUTE!

 This can be tricky so move it around until you get it just right! Then, cut, sew the pants, add the cuffs, insert elastic, and voila! 

 
 
I always despise patterns that tell you you need more than what the pattern really takes. If you are the type of person who buys fabric just for a specific project this doesn't always work for you if you don't want to spend more than you have to.
 
Well the heck with them, and those stinky patterns that tell you you need more fabric than you really do!
Make the half yard work girl!

Typically you can get really nice designer fabric, (I am sort of  totally a designer fabric snob) for about 8-9 dollars a yard, so these shorts really cost me about $4-4.50 and about an hour of my time!
 

 
Hannah loves getting new clothes and we always have to have something new to take to the beach! I can't wait to see her romping around the beach in these and some cute sandals! Hmm do I need to order more of this fabric so Emmie has some matching ones? Maybe!
 
PERFECT


 
What would YOU make with half a yard of fabric?
The possibilities are endless!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment