Monday, August 5, 2013

Striped Bathroom

Ok folks, this was my first real "project" in the house. First of all, excuse all my phone quality pictures I have been posting. I love my "fancy" camera but I have no time to photograph stuff and blog about it so you might just need to hang with these pics for the foreseeable future. I promise the better quality will be back soon! 
 
On to the bathroom.  So someone decided between 1993 and 2013 to paint this little half bathroom the ugliest dark brown!
What the heck? Who in their right mind uses poopy brown? I mean seriously, a small space that has zero natural light should not be painted brown. Now I am not a professional by any means, but I can tell you that this was U-G-L-Y, see.....
 
 
 
On top of having the most yucky color, the bathroom walls also had texture. I didn't think this would be a big issue when I started to think about this renovation, but after I had a wallpaper guy come and do an estimate on hanging wallpaper, he said the walls would need to be sanded down if I wanted wallpaper in there, and then after that, the cost of the paper and to hang it was well over $400. Not so much in my budget right now.  What was in my budget? A quart of yellow paint of course, and some painters tape. I knew I wanted yellow in there and I am loving the look of stripes so.... what better way to transform this space? 
 
 
 
For those of you who know me, know, I am NOT a measure -er when it comes to this kind of stuff. I really kinda just wing it. I did use the laser level to get all the stripes level, but I didn't really care if they were the same size. See me and math, aren't very good friends so I just put the tape where I thought it would look good and would make the size stripes I wanted. If you do this, make sure you use a credit card or a roller to go over the tape to make sure the paint sticks to the walls, and doesn't bleed through.


 
Also once you are taped off, write in each striped area you are painting which stripe is which color. I did this so I wouldn't get confused as to which area was what color. You would have heard a few choice words if I messed this up!
 
And.......Voila!  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A totally new look with only the price of paint and tape! (And patience)
 
 
Don't you just LOVE it? My assistant is pretty cute too!
 
Have fun taping and painting everyone!!
 
 
XOXO-
L

2 comments:

  1. just popped over from IG...funny enough, I'm about to walk out the door to pick out paint colors for MY ugly bathroom. wish me luck! p.s. your etsy shop is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! I am just seeing your comment now! How did your bathroom come out? I would LOVE TO SEE IT! Thanks for popping over! I love IG visitors! xoxo

    ReplyDelete